Monday, October 18, 2010

What is this repository about again?



Well my installation of a third CMS and the creation of my 8th or 9th repository is complete...and I am beginning to feel a little weary of puppet resources.

I did enjoy this installation, however. So many defaults accepted! I am normal! My configuration has been anticipated and all but arranged!

Interesting that you have to go to the CLI monitor to make design changes. It seems like it shouldn't be that way, and yet, it makes the line between the designer and the content manager very clear, especially when the content is entirely distinct from the design, as is the case with many repositories. The user interface is better organized than Dspace, whose creators seem to have never heard of tab menus, and less confusing than Drupal, whose creators got a little too high on menus. And the continued expectation of communion with the command line puts everyone in their place, which seems more attractive as I work with users who expect a mile when given an inch in design options.

So it's more attractive and belled-and-whistled than Dspace yet simpler than Drupal. Not incredibly modular, but easy to introduce without a tutorial. Overall I may like Eprints better than Drupal or Dspace for a few collections I am working on, which makes me see how important it is to evaluate before you launch. You can't very well change the delivery vehicle when the resources are already on the train!

No comments:

Post a Comment